Thursday, August 31, 2006

English love . . .

I got to work Monday and sat down as I normally do. Checked my email, voicemail and began my usual job of comic relief for the poor techy geeks here at "Techy's R Us". Simple things really, but usually revolved around making fun of myself. I find it makes me approachable and more importantly lowers their expectations of me. I play the simple boy "gosh really . . wow" shucks and all that jazz.

Its quite a good act. All relationships are based on expectations and all arguements stem from the basic ideal of "expectations do not match reality". I have found though that good things like surprise, awe and astoundment also come from this premise. This is why I constantly try to lower people's expectations of me. Then when I perform at a marginal level, I look like an Idiot Savant . . how lovely!

Well, the freakin thing seems to have backfired on me as one of my staff here in New York decided to play a bit of a prank on me, in cahoots with apparently legions of others, as I soon found that the prank in question was one of several options available. I'd hate to see what the other less attractive versions looked like.



The evidence speaks for itself (I am the one on left in case you were wondering), which was presented for all to see and I've had sooooo many god damn people coming my desk since then its unreal. As if I didn't already have a flood of the comicly-deprived already at my doorstep humbly requesting the clown to dance, now I have ads????

This got me to thinking of when I was working in England. No matter where I was, the abuse I received was relentless. Luckily for me it was rather similar. American this and George Bush that . . . I was willing to take one on the chin for Uncle Sam . . shucks . . ain't I swell? There were a few that got personal, but I'd take it in stride. One day I just had to ask, "Why the fuck am I the only one who ever gets picked on, then someone told me "Don't you know If we didn't like you we wouldn't pay you any mind at all".

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh that's it. I must have been the most popular guy there. Who would have thought?

So given my education in English affection, I am not bothered at all by the photo and thought I'd share it with you. My boss came by my desk to mention it to me. He never swears, but said "Fucking funny picture, I love warped humor" or something like that. I didn't even have anything to do with it and I am getting all these props, which goes to show that funny people don't even need to try . . . . .

oooo and Hi Kerry!! Love you baby!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Narrator said...

Wikked blog, Darrin. Um, is that Black guy the retard from Howard Stern? I hate the way they make fun of him. Seriously, it's heart-breaking.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Narrator said...

But I cackle at the stuttering freak. Stuttering John?

1:14 AM  
Blogger Darrin said...

Thanks for the comments, coming from the queen herself, I am honoured . . truly . . I am bowing right now.

And yes the "tard" is Beetlejuice from Howard Stern. I feel for the guy, but I am sure the lucrative cheddar he gets sets his mind at ease and lets be honest, the abuse couldn't have begun with Stern.

Not a big Stern watcher, listener myself. I can only take so much of him, but when I do it is funny.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Narrator said...

OK, but why should the abuse of this man continue? I seriously doubt he's making "lucrative cheddar" - though I do love that phrase :)

Queen? No.

Dude, I gotta ask you -- why do you post where you work? Erase that shit.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home